Never heard of prodromal labor? Yea, neither did I until this pregnancy and it is one of the most challenging experiences I’ve had while pregnant! I would have never even believed it was a real thing if someone told me about it. My body has been acting like it’s in labor with the exception of dilating. I have been having contractions for two weeks now and they even become consistent where they are 5-8 minutes apart, so I begin to think it just might be time and then they stop. It’s frustrating, draining, and exhausting. Sleeping is a challenge and work is interesting when I start contracting while trying to teach. I’m trying not to complain…really, but this is driving me insane!
Yesterday I had contractions for 5-10 minutes apart ALL DAY! I made an appointment with my doctor because I was not going back to the hospital. On my way home from work I had the brilliant idea to stop home—big mistake that was! I attempted to pull in the driveway, but got stuck on a patch of ice. I will spare you the long, frustrating story of being dug/chipped out. I ended up making it to the office before they closed and my doctor was stressed thinking I was delivering in a snow bank! Haha! I am now 3cm dilated, heard the lil’ man’s heartbeat, and all is healthy!
My little wonders…
- What color eyes will he have? Blue like mommy? Brown like daddy?
- Will he look like daddy?
- How much will he weigh? (doctors at the hospital said he weights 7lbs, but my doc says no way and that he is bigger)
- How long will labor be? quick? natural like I’m planning? smooth? painful?
- How will labor begin? At home? At work? Water breaking?
- Will labor begin in the middle of the night when I’m in bed with no make-up on or when I look decent? Yea, hoping I don’t look like a train wreck before even going through labor!
- Will he have hair? If the old-wives tale is true that if you have heartburn your baby will have a lot of hair then he sure will have quite a bit of it!
- How will his big brother and sisters react to holding him?
- Will I remember how to push?
- Will I be able to use the water bath/whirlpool for comfort?
- How will Craig react to seeing his son?
- What will our first few days home with our new son be like?
- How many more days will I have to wait until he makes his way into the world?
Share in a comment: Have you ever experienced prodromal labor? How did you cope? How did you end up going into labor?