After writing the Top 10 Best Parts About Being Pregnant I thought it might be fun to think about the struggles. I am beyond thankful to be pregnant, but there are some moments that can cause some frustration. This is what I came up with…
10. Doctor Appointments: I feel like I’ve been to the doctor’s more than Wegmans lately. I was going more than usual so he could monitor me a little closer, but it is worth it to make sure everything is in order and baby is healthy.
9. Zika Virus: We wanted to do some traveling over the summer, but Doc said no due to the risk of the Zika Virus. I’ll usually go against doctor orders without batting an eyelash, but I’m not going to put my child at risk—maybe we will plan a weekend babymoon close to home instead.
8. Maternity Clothes: Ok, it has been years since my previous pregnancies and maternity clothes have improved quite a bit, but they still have a long way to go! What woman wants to look like they are wearing a tablecloth? Enough with the stripes! And what is with all the bows and ties—just because I have a child growing inside of me does not mean I want to look like one!
7. Weight Comments: I have never had so many people feel like its appropriate to comment about my weight! A “family member” recently felt it was appropriate to address me by saying, “what’s up fatty” (just one of the flavorful comments she made). For one I’m not fat, way thinner than her (not to mention I have a full mouth of my own teeth), and I’ve only gained nine pounds according to my last doc appointment.
6. People asking when the wedding is: If we had a dollar for every time we have been asked this we could have a destination wedding and pay for our entire family to come! Just because we are expecting does not mean I’ll be waddling down the isle!
5. Shaving, clipping toe nails…anything involving bending over: Things are difficult to reach, see, and it can be incredibly frustrating.
4. Sleep: I toss and turn quite a bit! When a comfortable position is finally found it only lasts just a short time. I’m too hot! No, too cold…where did I kick that blanket? Where is the Pepcid? Ohhhh…not a leg cramp….not now! That can’t be my alarm—I just fell asleep!
3. Hearing “you’re crazy” or “are you sure you want another?”: I’ve never been one to walk to the beat of the drum society is playing…and I don’t intend to now. I’m fully aware that I am in a sense “starting over” as some say, but just because you are afraid to live your life, doesn’t mean I am. People have called me crazy for all kinds of decisions—being a teen mom, going back to college, wanting to teach students with disabilities, wanting to teach in the school I’m in…all of which make me incredibly happy and proud, so how is that crazy?
2. Fatigue: At the end of the work day I am spent! I’m on my feet the majority of the day, then it’s picking up from practices, cooking dinner, cleaning up the house, and I do try and make time in there for a nap or at least some couch time with my favorite blanket!
1. Mood swings: These hit me off guard (pun intended)! They have finally seemed to level out, but they were quite intense earlier in my pregnancy. One second I was fine, next crying over a nothing, and then the temper would come out of nowhere! I’ve never experienced such a range all at once—my family deserves an award for putting up with me through them!
Share in a comment: What is/was your least favorite part about being pregnant?