I have not been one to follow the crowd down to Myrtle Beach for Spring Break until this year. My son’s friend’s family invited him on vacation with them (also to Myrtle Beach), so it was my youngest daughter, boyfriend, and me. This wasn’t one of those vacations that was all planned out months in advance, but all went smooth. As I’m a teacher I receive breaks throughout the school year and need to start taking advantage of the opportunity to travel more.
We looked around at options and Myrtle Beach was close enough to drive, affordable, and the weather would provide us with plenty of vitamin d and sea that we have been quite deficient in. We decided that we wanted to find a resort with a lake-front view, be close to the boardwalk (but far enough away from the noise), and we wanted a resort that included breakfast. We found all of that and had a wonderful time! We decided to drive an additional two hours for one of the days to spend time touring Charleston which was another pleasant adventure!
Myrtle Beach is a 13 hour drive from Rochester, New York…we stocked up on snacks and drinks and left when the school bell rang!
Top 10 Favs:
- Sunrise: Every morning we set the alarm, so we could watch the sunrise…this was probably one of my most favorite moments on our trip! Each morning the glow was different, yet still mesmerizing.
- Pleasant surprises…jellyfish, seashells, and shark teeth…Ohh…my! Walking the shoreline we stumbled on a variety of washed up treasures.
- Food, food, and more food (more food pics coming…my phone broke and all the food pics are on it)
- Brookgreen Gardens (Former Rice Plantation) I teach African American Literature, so touring a former plantation was something that was on my “must do” list. We learned quite a bit about rice plantations as this was an area I didn’t know much about. I’m still struggling with some emotions and thoughts from our tour.
- Charleston & Magnolia Plantation Another former rice plantation we toured…there really are no words I can type to properly describe my experience…
- Animals/Wildlife No matter where we are, when we see animals we are interested…isn’t everyone? We saw a bird fight on one of the plantations, which ironically one was white and the other was black…just after they fought a peacock opened up to show its beauty off. Whether it was an otter scratching its back, a fox in a tree, an alligator sneaking up on us, or a snake crossing our path we were in awe!
- Boogie Boarding I prefer to lay on the beach and soak up the rays and dip in once in a while, but Craig and McKinley are like fish when it comes to swimming. They were in the water for hours boogie boarding and I enjoyed capturing them riding the waves.
- Boardwalk Such fun we had on the boardwalk! Shopping, eating, shopping, snapping pictures, talking to people, the Sky Wheel, and the arcade! Tip: Even if the morning starts out chilly, don’t wear pants to the boardwalk…it will warm up.
- Arcade: I’m not one to play arcade games, but Craig and McKinley had a ball…they hit the jackpot a few times and tickets were everywhere!
- Ocean Being mesmerized by the beauty of the ocean or just listening to it while in bed was one of the best parts of the trip!
I thought this vacation would satisfy my wanderlust cravings, but they have intensified! Suggestions where I should travel next?
For more photos follow me on Instagram!