What Makes YOU Shine? What do you do to make life more enjoyable for others?
If you can’t think of what you do to uplift people then here are five simple suggestions.
- Greet People: Throughout the day make it a point to greet people…not only the people you perceive as important, but the people who may be unnoticed as well…even if they do not greet you back! A smile along with a “good morning” is simple enough. If you’re walking in the store hold the door for the next person—whoever they happen to be.
- Listen: Many people want to be heard, but it is also important to stop and listen (really listen) to others. I don’t mean listen to people ramble on and on, but to remember what they say. For example, remember what they will be doing over the weekend and ask them on Monday how their activity/plans went. As a teacher I also make it a point to do this with my students. As a parent, with my children. I even practice this when I’m interacting with cashiers at the store.
- Notice and Acknowledgement: When someone is doing something positive notice it and offer acknowledgement. This can mean noticing that your child completed a chore without needing to be asked and complimenting them, writing a note to a co-worker to say what a great job they are doing, or even sending an email to let a person know that you appreciate the extra effort they have been investing in a certain task.
- Share: Whatever your talent is or something you are good at…share it with others. This can be as simple as you make the best banana bread ever…then bring some to work to share or pass a loaf on to a neighbor. Do you have the skill to knit? Make a blanket and pass it on to someone…just start knitting and in the process you will realize who it is meant for.
- Thank: When is the last time you wrote a thank you note/card? Show appreciation even in the small things and make it a part of your routine to spend time writing a note to someone to thank them. It could be for something in the past that they did for you, a mentor, friend, relative, child, or even to a store to thank them for the great customer service!Comment: What makes YOU shine? Share with us something you do to make life more enjoyable for others.